10 July 2011

Holzbrücke Rapperswil-Hurden

I am 

We built to many walls and not enough bridges.
Isaac Newton

... therefore, I think!

Just when I thought that nothing could be made smaller than an IBIS bedroom, life's proved me wrong!

I was staying one night in Horgen, CH and upon recommendations, stayed at the Hotel Meierhof.

Here is a snapshot of my room:


Do not get me wrong this hotel was perfect! There are rooms that are bigger but I was there for one night after not having slept for 24 hours, I could have slept anywhere.

It is in the middle of the town, right across from the train station, has a great breakfast/drink lounge on the top floor with a superb view of the Lake Zurich. That was my first night stop after visiting Zurich and Rapperswill-Jona.
Holzbrücke Rapperswil-Hurden

I had decided to swing by there to see the oldest wooden bridge in Switzerland. The prehistoric timber piles discovered to the west of the Seedamm date back to 1523 BC. The first wooden footbridge led across Lake Zürich, followed by several reconstructions at least until late 2nd century AD. when the Roman Empire built a 6 meters (20 ft.) wide wooden bridge. Between 1358 and 1360, Rudolf IV, Duke of Austria, built a 'new' wooden bridge across the lake that has been used to 1878 – measuring approximately 1,450 meters (4,760 ft.) in length and 4 meters (13 ft.) wide. On April 6, 2001, the reconstructed wooden footbridge was opened, being the longest wooden bridge in Switzerland.

While walking through town, I came by a restaurant that had the greatest idea I have ever seen to dine outdoors when it is raining. For people from Montreal, maybe we could use the idea for the Olympic Stadium ... just kidding! 

Look at that, it is a big plastic funnel! the borders are attached to the edge of the nearby walls that are enclosing the courtyard to go down to a manhole. I am not sure where the water goes (it could well reused to water the rose garden!) Anyway, I thought it was a good idea, you can even see the sky and when it is sunny, each table had a big sun umbrella.

This town was so tranquil, so serene. Maybe a 7-hour flight, followed by a fast visit in Zurich, when I've arrived there I was in need of some peaceful time. You can sit on benches near by the lake and just watch time passing by. Nothing moves too quickly.


Here are some of the roses from the rose garden:


2 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

I love the bug funnel idea. It's not only ingenious but a great green idea. Think of all the Montreal restaurant with a terrace in s small court yard that could use the idea, specially his summer!!! Tu me donnes le goût d'aller visiter ce coin là à vélo, particulièrement le pont de bois. Louent-ils des vélos? JLau

SylvieinMontreal said...

JLau
En fait je ne suis pas certaine si tu peux louer pour la journée, je n'étais pas assez longtemps mais si tu veux faire la Suisse à vélo ... ce site peut t'aider.

http://veloland.myswitzerland.com/en/mietstation.cfm

Post a Comment