06 July 2011

No scalpel for Turcotte


I read

This is a court of law, not a court of justice.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

... therefore, I think!

I could not, not talk about this.

In 2009, a Quebec cardiologist from Piedmont, QC (in the Laurentians) was charged with two-counts of first degree murder in the death of his two young children, Olivier 5 yrs old, and Anne-Sophie 3 yrs old.

Yesterday came with the conclusion of the 10-weeks trial where the jury composed of seven women and four men rendered their decision. They had four choices (Turcotte had already pleaded guilty):
  • Guilty of first-degree murder
  • Guilty of second-degree murder
  • Guilty of manslaughter, or
  • Not criminally responsible due to mental illness at the moment of the murder
The verdict was what no one was expecting ... Not criminally responsible due to mental illness at the time of the murder ... there is really no justice. 

I would just like to ask : how and why?
I do not have any answers. I had stated to right down some thoughts, opinions but none made sense. I do not know how a person can kill coldly his own flesh ... and truly I think I prefer to not understand. I prefer to not have to understand.

My thoughts are going to the mother that is left with ... this.
She wants to put this behind her and move forward ... she shall respect her even if the jurors decision  does not make sense to anyone ... What can we say, the guy had a brain fart for a brief moment ... should I mention that the brief moment was long enough to have time to drink methanol, and stab his son 27 times and his daughter 19 times. Yes, you read right.

... unbelievably, the decision has not yet been made by the College des Médecins du Quebec as to know if the Doc will be able to operate again one day ... between you and I ... I would be afraid the guy has another episode while performing an open heart surgery  ! I would not want to have him close to me with a scalpel, but that's just my personal opinion and ... before I get a lawsuit, not a judgement on the guy.

The full S**T click here

2 commentaires:

JJP said...

Je n'ai pas vraiment suivi ce cas mais disons que je ne m'attendais pas non plus à ce verdict. "Les hommes sont laids, bêtes et méchants" - Machiavel. Et plus de 500 ans plus tard, ils n'ont pas changé. Désolant.

SylvieinMontreal said...

Je n'ai pas vraiment suivi mais j'ai été vraiment surprise de ce verdict qui sur le moment m'a vraiment choqué ... mais on n'était pas là avec lui et non plus au procès ... alors ma réaction est émotive mais ... je ne comprends pas comment ce genre de situation peut arriver.

Post a Comment