06 June 2011

Make a Green Choice ?

I read

Make a green choice
Westin Hotel

... therefore, I think!


There are days when I really wonder who is thinking certain marketing campaigns. They just do not make any sense. Not too long ago I was in Lombard, Illinois USA for a conference. I stayed at the Westin. Nice.

... after a 5-hour drive from Indianapolis, I'd finally arrived at my room.
The room was perfect. The bed sooooo comfortable. 

The hotel was portraying itself as green.  I see a green pamphlet on the bed ... $5 voucher to decline housekeeping. Hummmm. I do not clean my bedroom every day at home, I have no problem being in a hotel room for 2 days without new towels or clean bedsheets. However, I often feel like a fool to fall for this. I always think that these incentives have a hidden agenda. 

Ha! Am I too suspicious?  the conspiracy theory? after all, IT IS possible that an hotel chain really has the environment at heart. That it is NOT because they save $$$ on hot water, soap and dryer, and the maid ... +++$$$+++ and give me a meager $5 that all they want is to have a good public image, a green hotel, an environmentally friendly hotel ... and make more money! No no Sylvie, be reasonable  and give a chance to the guys. Fair enough.

After all this debating (in my head), all I wanted was  ... a Shower!

Surprise surprise
I could have NEVER expected what I saw! After all ... maybe, just maybe, I could be right!
Can someone tell me what in a double shower head is environmentally friendly ??? After I've saved the planet by doing everything I could  (towels, bed, recycling my newspaper, etc), I am invited to take a shower where I will actually be able to use twice as much water!!! ??? Where is the logic?

Yes, there is a little handle to turn off one of  the heads




... oh and will not talk about their all natural bottled water ... so Green ... I forgot, it is a nice $5 Fuji bottle imported directly from ... Fuji Island. Nice! I guess they put the bottles on a raft and let it rift to Chicago from Fiji by dropping under Oceania (wishing it will not stop in the India Ocean) to reach the Atlantic, then up to go through the St-Lawrence Seaway to reach finally the Great Lakes ???

Wow, that made me Happy as a clam!

New England Clam Chowder


Prep: 25 minutes Cooking time: 45 min
Serves
: 8

Ingredients:
  • 30 g butter
  • 50 g bacon, cooked
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 125 ml milk
  • 2 x 132g canned clams
  • 1 x 120g canned tuna
  • 15 g of parsley, fresh and chopped
  • 300 ml of 35% cooking cream

Preparation:
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add bacon and onion and saute for about 2-3 minutesAdd potatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes. Gradually add broth and bay leaf.


Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Using a potato masher, mash a few times (not completely), cook another 10 minutes uncovered. Remove bay leaf.

Add milk and cream, clams, parsley and cream. Stir while heating but do not let boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Source: Inspirée  de Soups and Breads 

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment