08 June 2011

Yale

I visited

Yale University !

... therefore, I think!

Traveling for work is not always an easy thing, but I cannot deny that it gives me  great opportunities to see things I would never see. GoiSo ng places I would never go. So on most trip, I try to see something new. Learn something.

So, coming back from New York going toward Boston ... (yes I drive, easier than getting frustrated in airports ...) I was thinking that I had done this road enough times now without stopping in New Haven, that the time had come. It was close to dinner time and ... my legs needed some stretching.

So what about Yale?
Well, it is in New Haven CT and was founded in 1701, making it the 3rd oldest university in America. The first rector was Abraham Pierson and ... of course, Yale is part of the Ivy League schools in USA. Its greatest rival is, without saying, Harvard (we'll see Harvard another time).

The university was named in honor of its benefactor, Elihu Yale who was born in Boston, USA but left for UK at the age of 4 ... to never return.

Who, famous, studied at Yale?
Presidents: Williams Taft, Gerald Ford, both G. H. and G. W. Bush, Bill Clinton
Close to be prez: John Kerry, Hillary Rohdam Clinton
Actors: Paul Newman (BS Drama 1954), Meryl Streep (Master Fine Art, Drama) and Jodie Foster (Literature m1985, magna cum laude)
Science: my friend Ron Hawley (PhD, chemistry 1989)

You know, they do not accept everybody ! In 2011, they accepted 2,006 students over 27, 283 applications! So ... way to go Chemboy!

While I was on campus, I got attracted by what? By all things ... doors ! Go figure.
Here are some of them:











... and some buildings ... for the architecture.







... and then talk about being lucky it was Spring Fling 2011 !!!
and the main act this year??? Third Eye Blind. That reminded me back few years back to 1997 and suddenly I was thinking of younger years ... and I was singing with the the early 20s students and for a moment I did not feel much older then them ! Body moving, head shaking, beer drinking! hummmmmmmmmmm ... I had a great time at Yale!

Reference: I took all these pix ... but fell free to use them.

2 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

Très belles photos et tu as raison, une belle architecture. A voir sûrement.

Mme Simonac

SylvieinMontreal said...

Ah, j'ai bien aimé marcher dans New Haven. Ces villes universitaires sont si intéressantes.

Post a Comment